Friday, January 13, 2012

And What Are You Doing Here, Exactly?

I think I mentioned the other day that I had an appointment to go to Werkplein Baanzicht, about the Inburgering Verplicht, or the duty to take a course in Dutch language and/or culture in order to live here.

The appointment was Wednesday and off I went with my trusty companion I like to call "my very special person." :) The person we had an appointment to go see had the misfortune of sharing a last name with someone in a very rude song. (The Dutch love their rude songs. This one is about a woman with very large breasts.) So the evening before the appointment we prepared by surfing the net for recordings of the rude song in question. That got us into a nice, friendly mood.

The man with the unfortunate name was very nice. And very tall. He talked a little bit about the inburgering verplicht, and asked a little about what I was doing in Netherlands, how long I planned to stay, etc., and then more or less asked why I was in his office.

Ummm... cuz you sent a letter saying I had to come to your office. Yes that was, more or less, my answer.

So the long and the short of it is that:

  • There's no duty for inburgering before the IND hands me a residence permit.
  • In my case, as a resident under the Dutch-American Friendship Treaty, there's no duty for it anyway.
  • If I would like, as a person with no duty to take the inburgering cursus, to take the course anyway as a freebie way to get a language course under my belt, well I should have come last year before the budget cuts.

The nice man with the unfortunate name looks forward to hearing from me when I have my permit from the IND and he'll see what he can do, have a nice day.

Monday I have an appointment with Kamer van Koophandel (Chamber of Commerce) to register my business and Wednesday we have an appointment with the bank to open my account. Apparently, you don't just walk into the bank and open an account. Who knew?

2 comments:

  1. gteem2000@sbcglobal.netFebruary 9, 2012 at 3:16 PM

    You sure seem to get a lot of run around in that country but they all seem very friendly about it. Looking forward to visiting someday although I doubt I will be able to take a course in the language and will depend on an interpreteur--namely you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol... The tax service has phoned me up asking if I need any assistance, if I have work, if I understand everything. Gave me the heebie-jeebies but my very special person insists they're not the enemy here. They're more like advisors (who want your money). But they also see it as their duty to make sure you don't pay more than you're supposed to.

      And no worries... most Dutch people understand Dutch, English, French and German at minimum and speak at least Dutch and English--some better than others, but you can get along in English without much trouble.

      Delete

Thanks for your comment. It will be posted as soon as it's been reviewed. All comments, positive and negative, will be posted. Sales material masquerading as comments will not be posted. Comments may or may not be moderated before posting.

Thanks,

--Gayle