Saturday, December 17, 2011

Fail

I can't do it.

I know. You all had faith in me, that I would move here and become Dutch.

But I just can't.

I cannot eat a grilled cheese sandwich with no fat added.

*hangs head in shame*

So... OK so my dear American friends are wondering what I'm babbling about. The Dutch have this fantastic invention:



The also make grilled cheese (tosti) in a George Foreman grill thing.



Either way, we're talkin' very low fat. The tosti consists of two pieces of bread, a slice of cheese, a slice of ham. I kept checking the recipe for when you're supposed to smother all four available sides of the bread with dripping high-fat goodness, and it's just not in there! It's dry toast with hot cheese and ham gluing it together. The Dutch dip this in ketchup.



For my Dutch friends, so that you can understand my angst here, Americans make a grilled cheese sandwich, with or without ham, on one of these:



Butter all four sides of two slices of bread. OK you can use margarine if you have to. You can even use mayonnaise if you're a total health nut. Put both slices of bread in a hot skillet and lightly brown one side. Flip one slice over and stack it with cheese, ham, and/or whatever you like in your sammy. Flip the second slice over on top of the first. Let it toast there for a bit. That pan is going to smoke, so open the window, turn up the vent, remove the battery from your fire alarm, whatever. Flip the whole thing over and when the second side is golden brown, you have this:



American Grilled Cheese Sandwich: 637 calories. 50.2g fat. (with butter & 2 slices cheese)

Dutch Tosti: 277 calories. 9.6g fat. (with ham)

Yeah, it's good for you. Did I mention low fat? Healthy even. And it's one bridge too far.

And so I must confess to committing what in Netherlands is probably a crime: I spread margarine on top of my ham and cheese tosti. In my own defense, it was the bomb! It was like a grilled ham & cheese sandwich and breakfast toast all in one! 

Man, I hope the IND does not read this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. It will be posted as soon as it's been reviewed. All comments, positive and negative, will be posted. Sales material masquerading as comments will not be posted. Comments may or may not be moderated before posting.

Thanks,

--Gayle